* 8 April 1924 in Berlin; † 22 November 2013 in Berlin
German sculptress and graphic artist
Ursula Hanke-Förster is a renowned Berlin sculptress. Her large-scale sculptures are not only situated in the public spaces of her home city but in many other German cities as well.
First, Ursula Hanke-Förster completes a three-year apprenticeship in graphic drawing. From 1944 she studies at the Berlin School for Arts and Crafts. After the war she continues her education at the Berlin School of Fine Arts. Among her teachers are Max Kaus and Gustav Seitz. In 1948 she presents small sculptures at the “Young Generation” exhibition in Berlin. She completes her studies in 1952 as master pupil of Renée Sintenis.
Shortly after beginning her freelance career she receives significant artistic commissions. In 1952 she visits Alberto Giacometti, whose art greatly impresses her. In 1954 the city of Berlin awards her the Art Prize for Sculpture. The artist has her first solo exhibition at the Berlin-Schöneberg Town Hall in 1957. She exhibits her work at home and abroad. Since 1959 and 1963 respectively, the gallery Weyhe in New York and the gallery von der Höh in Hamburg exhibit her work every three years. Ursula Hanke-Förster’s sculptures can be found, among other places, at the Busch-Reisinger-Museum of Harvard-University in Cambridge, at the Brooklyn-Museum New York, at Neuer Berliner Kunstverein, at the Berlinische Galerie and in the Collection of the city of Hannover.