* 16 June 1911 in Solingen; † 12 June 1990 in Cologne
German painter and graphic artist
Georg Meistermann has, together with Willi Baumeister and other painters, by their varied work, marked art and cultural politics of the post-war Federal Republic.
In 1932 he begins his studies at the Düsseldorf Art Academy. In 1933 the Nazis order him to break off his studies and later vilify his art as “degenerate”. As of 1937 he devotes himself to stained glass painting. With his glass and mural compositions in profane and sacral edifices, such as in the Church of Maria Regina Martyrium in Berlin, he soon becomes known throughout Europe. Following World War II he is represented with works at the Biennale in Venice in 1950 and twice at the documenta in Kassel and so makes his name on the International art stage. His interest is in the effect of colour and space on buoyant colour fields. By his placement on the picture plane of different coloured bars or strokes as layers one behind the other, he creates novel spatial relations. From 1960 to 1976 Meistermann teaches at the Art Academy in Karlsruhe, where Raimund Girke and Gotthard Graubner, among others, are his students. From 1967 to 1972 Meistermann is president of the German Künstlerbund (Artists Assoc.). He is given numerous distinguished honors. In 1990 he is awarded the Cross of the Order of Merit of Germany with star and sash for his lifetime achievements.