* 11 March 1891 in Berlin; † 5 August 1977 in Berlin
German painter and graphic artist
Artistically, Max Kaus is to be classified as belonging to the second generation of Expressionists.
He passes through a painter apprenticeship and attends the school of arts and crafts in Berlin-Charlottenburg. In 1913 he rents a first studio of his own. During military service in Flanders, in 1916, he meets Erich Heckel, who is to become an example and a friend for him. In 1919 a first solo exhibition of Kaus’ works is held in the Berlin gallery Ferdinand Möller. From 1920, Kaus is a member of the Free Secession and makes the acquaintance of Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Otto Mueller. In 1926 he is given a teaching assignment at the master school of arts and crafts in Berlin. He is awarded several art prizes. In 1937 the National Socialists remove his paintings from exhibitions and museums. One year later, he has to give up, for political reasons, his job as a teacher of figurative painting at the united state schools, a job that he had started in 1935. More than 200 paintings as well as his graphic oeuvre are destroyed in World War II. From July 1945 up to 1968, Kaus teaches at the college of fine arts in Berlin. In 1949 he is given a professorship at this college, and in 1953, he becomes its deputy director, still under Karl Hofer. After his retirement he creates an extensive late work, including a cycle of North Sea paintings.