* 1935 in Berlin, lives and works in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg
German painter and graphic artist
With his mainly sombre, low-key paintings, Klaus Roenspieß has made a quite independent contribution to the scene of painting in Berlin. Soon after the ending of the Second World War, surrounded by the still extensively destroyed city, he begins to draw and to paint.
From 1954 on, he studies painting at the art academy in Berlin-Weißensee. Herbert Behrens-Hangeler, who teaches painting technique, is one of those teachers who are of interest to him. He maintains amicable relations to his fellow students Helmut Symmangk, Alfred von Bodecker, Hans Helmut Müller and Hans Vent. In 1955, he drops out of the academy, as he does not approve of the spiritual atmosphere there. He continues to work autodidactically, in great seclusion, mainly in the 1960s. Roenspieß regards the building of the Berlin Wall as the destruction of his entire experiential space. Now, he is no longer able to visit many motifs, important exhibitions, and galleries. From 1970 on, he concludes friendships with his colleagues, among others the painters Christa and Lothar Böhme, Wolfgang Leber, Dieter Goltzsche, Manfred Böttcher, Harald Metzkes, Konrad Knebel, the sculptors Sylvia Hagen and Werner Stötzer. A lively exchange of ideas develops, based on common rejection of the ideologically claimed socialist realism. The French and German painters of modern art are their common role models. After 1979, Roenspieß is given the chance for two journeys to Paris; first solo exhibitions and important group exhibitions follow. The National Galerie and other museums acquire his paintings for their collections. From 1972 on, an extensive graphic œuvre is created, in addition to painting. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, Klaus Roenspieß reconquers, walking, the entire city. Later on, trips to the Baltic Sea and to other European countries result in new impulses to his artistic creation. His painting is now more sensuous, richer in motifs. Since then, the artist’s creative work has been shown in numerous exhibitions. The Berlinische Galerie, the Stadtmuseum, and other collections purchase his paintings. In 2011, the Lindenau Museum Altenburg takes a bundle of his paintings and graphics for its holdings.