* 16 August 1881 in Munich; † 18 May 1944 in Horn near Füssen (Upper Bavaria)
With his œuvre, multifarious as to style and subject, Fritz (Friedrich Bernhard) Stuckenberg belongs to the pioneers of Classic Modern Art.
After his studies at the art academies of Weimar and Munich, Stuckenberg in 1907 goes to Paris, where from 1909 on he is presented at a number of exhibitions. In the autumn of 1913 the painter goes to Berlin. Here, his work is determined by the ‘constraint of expression’. In early 1916, Stuckenberg meets Herwarth Walden and the artists of the Sturm-Circle. For his private collection of Modern Art, Walden acquires Stuckenberg’s painting ‘Landscape’, which is widely circulated as a Sturm-postcard. The painter always takes part in exhibitions of the Sturm before he splits with Walden in 1918. In 1919, Stuckenberg moves to Seeshaupt (Upper Bavaria). From here, he joins the November Group in the autumn of the same year. In 1920, he takes part in exhibitions of the group in several German cities, and he has a presentation at the Jena arts society, togerher with Walter Dexel, Paul Klee and Johannes Molzahn. He also takes part in the ‘Exhibition of Munich Expressionist Workshops’ in Chicago. In 1921, the painter falls gravely ill, but he nevertheless continues to paint. His first solo exhibition is in Bremen, in 1923. His paintings are also shown at the Großen Berliner Kunstausstellung in 1928 and 1930 and the Juryfreien Kunstschau in 1929 and 1931. After their coming to power, the National Socialists exclude Stuckenberg from supraregional exhibitions, defame his art as ‘degenerate’, and confiscate five of his works that are in possession of museums. In 1941, the artist moves to Horn near Füssen. In 1993, a retrospective in Delmenhorst, Berlin and Neuss rediscovers Stuckenberg as a member of the artistic avant-garde of Modern Art. In 2008, the Städtische Galerie Delmenhorst opens a permanent exhibition of works by him.