* 1945 in Bad Aussee (Austria)
Evelyn Kuwertz grows up in post-war Berlin. From 1969 to 1974, she studies painting at the West Berlin college of fine arts; in the following two years, she is Hermann Bachmann’s master student. In the 1970s and 1980s, she actively advocates the demand that, in the art scene, female artists should be treated with equal respect. Her teaching assignment at the Berlin art academy in the years from 1981 to 1991 is followed by the position of a visiting lecturer at the same educational institution. From 1979 on, cityscapes of West Berlin and urban life are constant themes of her artistic work. Impressively, but nevertheless discreet, her paintings show the life experiences of Berlin citizens and the political situation in the divided city. At the same time, her portrayals of underground and suburban train stations reflect the transitory and anonymous life in a big city. In her series ‘Atombunker Kudammkarree’ the artist deals with fear of, and reactions on, nuclear threat in the cold war. During the 1980s, her mode of painting opens up to new dynamics of light. After the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, Evelyn Kuwertz focusses on urban developments in Berlin and Potsdam. Her motifs are major building sites, historically important buildings, and old streets in the two cities, and she shows them in the process of their origin, reconstruction, or refurbishment. After 2003, works by the artist also cover other European cities. The occupation with human movements in space, started in the mid-1980s, remains one of her major themes.
Evelyn Kuwertz lives and works in Berlin and Southwest France. Since the mid-1970s she regularly takes part in exhibitions, at home and abroad. Works by her are to be found in public and private collections in Germany and France.