* 24 January 1909 in Wilkau; † 18 June 1972 in Bad Gottleuba
German painter and graphic artist
After his apprenticeship as a porcelain painter, Erhard Hippold studies, from 1926 to 1928, in the Decorative Arts Department of the United Technical Schools in Zwickau. He subsequently continues his artistic education at the Dresden Academy of Applied Arts with Carl Rade and from 1931 at the Dresden Academy of Arts where, in 1932/33, he becomes a master pupil of Max Feldbauer. During his studies he takes part in Otto Dix’ so called Life Class Evenings. Dix’s Verism, and the social hardships of his own family during the world economic crisis, generate in Hippold a socially critical position and lead him to Expressive Realism. His first etchings, cityscapes and portraits, are created at the beginning of the 1930s. In 1933 he is forced to leave the Academy for political reasons and works as a freelance until his conscription into the Wehrmacht in 1939. In 1934 an artistically productive friendship with the painter Carl Lohse begins.
After his discharge as a British prisoner of war in 1945, Hippold and his wife, the painter and graphic artist Gussy Hippold-Ahnert, live as freelance artists in Radebeul. In 1949 he participates in the 2nd General German Art Exhibition in Dresden. Stimulated by Hermann Glöckner, Hippold also focusses on abstracts forms as well as his realistic works. Constructivist pieces created in the 1950s and 60s are exhibited for the first time at the gallery Kunstausstellung Kühl in Dresden in 1974.