* 31 January 1897 in Moscow; † 1 January 1978 in Berlin
Russian paintress, graphic and collage artist
Elena Liessner-Blomberg is a representative of the Russian avant-garde in the Berlin of the 1920s. Here she develops stylistic elements of her own, in the field of tension between Cubism and Constructivism, without, however, ignoring Russian traditions. By means of her collages and applications, she - from 1949 on - opens up an independent field for the arts in the GDR.
In 1914, Elena Liessner takes drawing lessons with her uncle Ernst Liessner, a master student of Ilja Repin. After the October Revolution, from 1917 on, she works first as a draughtswoman, later as a secretary at the People’s Commissariat of Education. In 1920 she starts to study painting in Moscow, at the national art academy Wchutemas, an institution advocating the ideas of the Russian avant-garde. In 1921 she follows an artist friend to Berlin. The literary revue ‘Blauer Vogel’ in Berlin-Schöneberg realizes her design of a stage curtain. In 1922 she finds a job with the bookshop Twardy, where she also participates in exhibitions and meets Kandinsky, Moholy-Nagy and the artists of the November Group. From 1921 to 1923 she takes part in the Novembrists’ exhibitions. In 1932, the artist is represented at the presentation of the Berliner Secession. During the time of National-Socialist rule she works as an assistant of her husband, the interior designer Albrecht Blomberg. She no longer exhibits, but in private she continues her artistic work. Because of the air raids on Berlin, she lives from 1943 on in Feldafing near Munich. In 1948, she shows her works at the Munich gallery Wimmer and takes part in presentations in Düsseldorf and Wiesbaden. In 1951 she moves to the GDR, to Pirna. From 1954 on she lives a secluded life in Kleinmachnow. With an exhibition in Berlin, the rediscovery of her artistic work starts in 1969. In the same year, the collection of copperplate engravings in Dresden acquires works by the artist as a basis of a collection.