* 29 July 1910 in Posen; † 15 May 2001 in Berlin
Painter and graphic artist
Arno Mohr is a master of reduction, working with a minimum of means. Concise and unexcited, his works tell of everyday life, particularly of the life in Berlin.
From 1924 to 1927, Mohr passes an apprenticeship as a sign-painter and, from 1930 on, he attends evening classes at the Berlin master school for graphic art. From 1933/34 on he studies for two semesters at the United Public School for Visual and Applied Arts in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Later he continues his studies autodidactically and works in different jobs. During the Second World War he is called up to military service and taken prisoner of war.
After the war, from 1946 to 1975, he holds a professorship at the art college in Berlin-Weißensee. In 1949 he sets up, and is in charge of, a printing studio at the college. A number of now renowned artists come from his master class. In 1970 he is appointed member of the GDR’s Academy of Arts, and in 1993, member of the Academy of Arts Berlin-Brandenburg. Between 1950 and 1990, Mohr has numerous solo exhibitions, and he participates in exhibitions at home and abroad. In 2000, the artist has an exhibition of his works at the Academy of Arts in Berlin.